Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Reason

writing symbols now,
a hook, a stop, a release
mistakes but trying



Japanese Determination

wanted a minor, if only my major was kinder
imagination
ohayoo to me? no to her in that seat...
anticipation
cunningham desu doozo yoroshiku
participation
wanting perfection, instead script rejection
frustration
snack time for energy, bring focus back in for me
mastication
break and then read, my curiousity to feed
education
knowledge in head deep, now time to sleep
deprivation
class in the morn, time to be reborn
rejuventation


this song kept me going to the end:

"Itsumo Nando" (Always With Me) Spirited Away End Credits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b50tThvbyA

I think the reason that I want to study Japanese is that I've always been fascinated with their culture and media. My sister and I would watch anime from time to time, and read manga. We also loved to watch Japanese soap operas (with English subtitles), and we usually tried to keep up with the latest fashion in Tokyo. I really want my sister to learn to speak Japanese as well, so that we can have a sort of 'secret language' between the 2 of us. Japanese, along with other Asian languages, is becoming more and more useful to know it today's world. I was hoping to make Japanese a minor, but my major doesn't really allow me much room to do so, with all the classes I have to take to become a chemical engineer. I really hope that I'll be able to study it thoroughly though, even if not at Notre Dame, and to master it as my 3rd language fluency.

end.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, the ChEg curriculum is absolutely stuffed. The only way I have room to minor in Japanese is because of lots of AP credit. Even then, it's a tight squeeze. haha - in case you couldn't tell, I'm a ChEg, too. =)

By the way, I like your はいく at the top. It made me smile. ^_^ Also, nice selection on the song - that song makes it worth it to listen through all the end credits of Spirited Away, doesn't it?

August 29, 2009 at 8:46 PM  
Blogger アルコンセル said...

The song you linked was lovely! And I love Spirited Away! Have you seen Ponyo yet? It's also by Hayao Miyazaki, and it's supposed to be rather good. I still need to see it!

And I totally understand what you mean about the secret language thing. My brother and I both took Japanese in high school, so we would communicate in Japanese when we wanted to keep secrets from our parents. On the other hand, I also could communicate in Filipino with my parents when they wanted to keep secrets from my brother, so in the end, nobody could keep secrets from me because I understood everything! hahahaha. (:

August 30, 2009 at 9:58 AM  
Blogger ムラん said...

Ha, enjoyed the poem. Keep plugging away with the Japanese. Looking forward to more writing this semester.

August 30, 2009 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger Twan said...

Great Poem. Very well-written. You should just switch to computer science. You know you want to. I know about your clandestine affairs with Matlab programming over the summer. Kidding aside though,
let's kick butt this semester.

August 30, 2009 at 7:26 PM  
Blogger lemonsticks said...

Yeah, my roommate wants to be an aero space engineer…I seriously don’t know how she even manages to have more of a social life than I do with all the work she has to do, aha. And I agree with Tanya, Spirited Away is probably the first movie that really got me into anime. And if you haven’t seen Ponyo yet, you should. It’s quite good. More of a kid flick than Miyazaki’s other films, but still entertaining. :3

August 30, 2009 at 10:49 PM  
Blogger ランダース said...

I'm sure you can find a way to make Japanese a minor :) Are you gonna try to study abroad there? I'm thinking if we do one of the summer programs, that might make life (and getting the minor) a whole lot easier.
I'm super excited for this class, I think it's gonna be a good semester!
Oh and also, I liked your poem xD

August 31, 2009 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger mikedoho said...

なに よみますか。

September 15, 2009 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Angela F said...

I understand your trouble with fitting in a major along with engineering. I am going into aerospace engineering and majoring in にほんご, but it's going to take me five years. I had to outline my five year schedule for ROTC, so find a way to fit all my classes in was tough.

September 15, 2009 at 5:59 PM  
Blogger Michael Lubin said...

はいくですね。はいくがすきです。いま、にほんごかきます。 :)

October 13, 2009 at 12:39 PM  
Blogger Adrian C said...

I am not so much thinking that I will even minor in にほんご anymore, but I still do thoroughly enjoy the class and the fact that now I can read paragraphs and even かんじ。More than likely I will take it more after I finish college.

November 18, 2009 at 7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home